Johnstown collects recyclables curbside biweekly. Residents receive a recycling bin when they register their address with the City. The bin is to be used for recycling only. NO TRASH Items collected are plastic jugs, jars & bottles #1 and #2, aluminum, tin or steel food and beverage cans and glass bottles, jugs and jars (no lids), newspapers, phone books, magazines, inserts, junk mail, and envelopes. All items must be rinsed before placing in bin. Residents are encouraged to recycle corrugated cardboard at the drop-off centers.
Cambria County has placed recycling containers at Roxbury Park (Derby Street entrance) and the D. St. Ball Field for area residents to drop off recyclables. Items include newspapers, magazines, corrugated cardboard, aluminum, tin or steel food and beverage cans and plastic jugs, bottles & jars.
The City maintains a list of businesses where the following items can be recycled: Appliances, electronics, tires and batteries, scrap metals and aluminum, cooking oil and office paper. Please call 814 533-2089 for information.
Motor Oil Recycling
The City accepts used Motor Oil (free of charge) for recycling into heating fuel, new motor oil and industrial lubricants. Oil may be dropped off at the Highway Garage located at 419 Sixth Avenue in Cambria City, Monday through Friday, 7:00 am – 2:30 pm.
Johnstown Public Works picks up yard waste in Johnstown. All yard waste must be bagged, boxed or bundled and placed by the curb for pickup. Bundles should not be longer than 3 feet in length or weigh more than 30 pounds. Residents must call 533-2089 to schedule pick-up.
Christmas Tree Recycling
Christmas trees may be dropped off at Roxbury Park (Derby Street side-lot by the big blue bins). The City of Johnstown recycles approximately 1500 Christmas trees per year.
- The United States has only six percent (6%) of the world population, but produces half of the world’s garbage.
- Recycling one glass bottle saves enough electricity to light a 100-watt bulb for four (4) hours.
- Seventeen (17) trees are saved when you recycle one (1) ton (2,000 lbs.) of paper.
- In America, 1,500 aluminum cans are recycled every second
- The City of Johnstown receives Grants from the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Resources under Section 902, Act 101, The Municipal Waste Planning, Recycling and Waste Resolution Act of 1988. These Grants are used for:
- Recycling Containers
- Collection Equipment