City of Johnstown
Department of Community and Economic Development Code Enforcement Officer
APPLICANTS MUST SUBMIT A PHYSICAL RESUME & NOTARIZED JOB APPLICATION
The Code Enforcement Officer completes inspections and follow-up work necessary to secure compliance with the adopted Property Maintenance Code and other municipal regulations, ordinances and programs related to the enforcement of local codes in the City’s neighborhoods. Inspections may involve occupied structures, vacant structures, yards, abandoned vehicles and vacant lots. This position reports to the City of Johnstown Building Codes Manager.
Responsibilities and Examples of Work
- Complete neighborhood inspections of properties to confirm code violations.
- Respond to all code complaints submitted to the City.
- Inspection of properties located within the City.
- Issue violation notifications to property owners.
- Complete all necessary documents to schedule a Court Hearing.
- Attend Court Hearings as necessary.
- Verify property is in compliance with all City Ordinances and Regulations.
- Daily updates within the City’s Code Enforcement software.
- And other duties as assigned by supervisor and/or management.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of City building codes and regulations.
- Ability to make inspections and field investigations, document files, and prepare for any legal proceedings evolving out of enforcement measures.
- Ability to follow oral and written assignments and ascertain facts through investigations.
- Ability to interpret and explain City ordinances, codes and regulations.
- Ability to learn, interpret and enforce the Uniform Construction Code, City Zoning Ordinance, and Property Maintenance Code.
- Ability to deal amicably with homeowners, tenants, and contractors in explaining and interpreting the City’s ordinances, codes and regulations.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with contractors, property owners, tenants, other employees, and the general public.
- Ability to follow established procedures, maintain informational databases and files.
- Basic computer skills including Word, Access and Excel.
- Ability to prepare records and reports as directed by the Building Codes Manager.
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely both orally and in writing.
Training and Experience
The following are minimum requirements for this position:
- Education equivalent to completion of high school diploma.
- A basic knowledge of architectural, engineering, and construction terminology.
- Effectively meet and deal with developers, the public, and other City employees.
- Preference will be given to those with post-secondary education in a relevant field, experience in code enforcement, zoning and/or building permitting, and knowledge of computer database software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee may be required to walk, stand and sit for a prolonged period and have the ability to lift twenty (20) pounds. Employee must also have the ability to drive to locations outside of City Hall in order to complete inspections or attend meetings.
- Must possess a valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License.
- Must maintain high standards of business and personal conduct.
- Must be able to pass a background investigation report.
- Must be able to pass a drug test, if required.
- Must be able to pass a physical examination, if required.